Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Crazy Kid


I've been thinking a lot lately about how fast Tate went from being my little baby to being a self-sufficient, independent, grown up boy. Well, maybe not completely self-sufficient. But he thinks he is. Anyway. It makes me sad to think how fast he's grown up, but at the same time, it has been so fun to watch him learn and grow and get so excited about doing new things. He brings so much joy and happiness to our family and I love him so much. It's so funny how the same little person that makes your life so meaningful and happy can cause you so much frustration, anxiety, worry, and loss of sleep. I can't imagine what our lives will be like when this little baby girl gets here to add to the fun.

So because I've been thinking so much about Tate, I thought I'd share a few of the funny things he has said to me lately. He makes me laugh everyday.

- I needed to wake him up to get him ready for daycare the other morning and as I gently rubbed his back , attempting to wake him from his slumber, I said, "Tater. Do you want to come see mommy?" He lazily rolled over, looked up at me with his still sleepy eyes, and said, with disappointment in his voice, "I wanta see Grandpa."

- He has been very disinterested in potty training for the past few months and thinks his potty is merely a step stool, intended only for helping him gain access to things out of his reach. I jokingly said to him the other day, "Tate, do you think if we tried really hard we could be potty trained before Baby Boo gets here?" He excitedly said, "Yes!" Then he ran to his toy box and started digging through all of the toys, yelling, "Mommy! Where is my potty train? Where is the train, mommy?"

- Tate understands that Boo is in mommy's tummy even though I don't think he really grasps the concept that a baby is going to be joining our family soon. But he will pat my belly and give it kisses. One day, he insisted on pushing my shirt up to see my bare belly and he said, "Mommy, I wanta see Boo." I told him she wasn't finished growing yet so he would have to wait. He then pointed to my tummy and said, "Mommy, open it." After I had a good laugh, I told him that we would get to see Boo in March. Now, whenever he's asked, he'll say, "We open Boo in March."

1 comment:

Us Egberts said...

Oh my....what a cutie....kids say the darndest things....sooooo smart in there own little way. I am so happy for your little family to get a little girl...she is the luckiest:)