Thursday, August 21, 2008

I want to be a gymnast!


So we have been totally consumed by the Olympics at our house. We turn the channel to KSL every night and watch until we fall asleep. Of course, I've been completely taken in by the womens gymnastics once again. I was especially excited to see Nastia Liuken get her gold in the All-Around and so happy to see Shawn Johnson get her gold on the balance beam. When I was little I would watch the gymnastics events and dream of being on that stage one day. And every four years this dream is rekindled as I watch these amazing athletes perform on the beam, uneven bars, vault, and floor. I remember when I was little I would put on my swimsuit, with a turtle neck underneath, and do cartwheels around the living room as I pretended to be a gymnast. I also remember having a great debate with my dad about why I couldn't take gymnastics lessons. He thought that I should focus on piano lessons instead. He made me make a pros and cons list for each activity. Of course my pros list for gymnastics was huge. And the one for piano was very small, with it's major con being that it was totally lame. But he forced me to be realistic and said that I wouldn't be able to do gymnastics when I was an old woman, but I would always be able to play the piano. So my dad won that one. And I do love playing the piano. But every time I see those ladies performing amazing acrobatics in the air, I can't help but think "Man, I wish I could do that."

3 comments:

sdralphs said...

That made me laugh so hard! I have been watching the olympics every night too. I love gymnastics. When I was little I use to watch it then I would go out on the trampoline and make up my own "floor routine"! I would do the whole wave before and after that they do too. I love how you wore your swimsuit and a turtle neck. So funny. I can totally picture you. I love that your Dad made you do a pro and con list. I can see Dan making you do that and your piano list was so small, but he still made you do it. Classic. I hope everything is going well, Shane is almost home! Yes!

codymegan said...

I don't know if I'll be able to look at you now without picturing you in a swimsuit with a turtleneck underneath. I think you should bring that look back.

Denice said...

They amaze me too! They make it look so easy. Gymnastics has always been one of my favorites..brings back memories of me and Megan doing "routines" when we were little. :)